Monfredo’s first book, Seneca Falls Inheritance, Agatha nominated for Best First Mystery Novel 1992, is set against the backdrop of the first Women’s Rights Convention held in 1848. Eight more novels focus on the history of America and the evolution of civil rights.
The Civil War Cain Trilogy is set in Washington D.C. and Virginia, during the Union’s 1862 Peninsula Campaign, the largest campaign of the war.
Monfredo’s Brothers of Cain was awarded the 2001 Herodotus as the year’s Best Historical Mystery. She is the recipient of the 2000 Career Achievement Award for Historical Mystery Writing by Romantic Times. Her second book, North Star Conspiracy, was chosen for the statewide 2002 “Alaska Reads A Book” program, and the Alaska Association of School Librarians for the 2002-03 “Battle of the Books” motivational reading program .
The Voice of Youth Advocacy selected her fifth book, The Stalking Horse, as one of 1998’s best adult mysteries for young adults. She was the recipient of the 1996 Writing In Rochester Award presented by western New York’s literary locus,Writers & Books.
As a speaker on the history of nineteenth-century American women, Monfredo has lectured in twenty-two states and England. Her short fiction has appeared in magazines and anthologies, including two Best of the Year collections, and she is also the co-editor of two historical mystery anthologies. Monfredo’s books are published in France and Germany. She has served on the National Advisory Board of the Friends of the United States Park Service Seneca Falls Memorial Site.
Her home is in a small hamlet on the Erie Canal, where she lives with one cat, two dogs, and hosts a lively gang of wild mallard ducks.
BA (cum laude) Nazareth College, History/Sociology
Master's Degree (MLS) State University of New York at Geneseo, Library and Information Science
The Seneca Falls Historical Mystery Novels
- Seneca Falls Inheritance, 1992 (Agatha Award nominee Best First Mystery)
- North Star Conspiracy, 1993
- Blackwater Spirits, 1995
- Through A Gold Eagle, 1996 (Berkley Prime Crime)
- The Stalking Horse, 1998
- Must The Maiden Die, 1999
The Civil War Cain Trilogy
- Sisters of Cain, 2000
- Brothers of Cain, 2001 (Herodotus award Best Historical Mystery 2001)
- Children of Cain, 2002
- Crime Through Time, 1997, co-edited by Monfredo and Sharan Newman
- Crime Through Time II, 1998, Monfredo and Newman
- The Vigil Table, EQMM, Feb. 1989
- Gather Not Thy Rose, EQMM, July 1992.
- Anthologized in Once Upon A Crime, 1994
- The Apprentice EQMM, Nov. 1993.
- Anthologized in The Year’s Best Mystery and Suspense Stories, 1994
- Anthologized in The Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror, 1994
- Suffer A Witch, Crime Through Time, 1997
- A Mule Named Sal, Crime Through Time II, 1998
- Buffalo Gals Won’t You Come Out Tonight, Malice 8, 1999
- A Single Spy, Crime Through Time III
- Raise a Song, Sound the Timbrel, The Muse’s Hand,
The Tavern Keeper’s Daughter, EQMM, Feb. 2014 (3rd place winner of Reader’s Award)
- Child Of The Cold Moon, EQMM 2017
- “Last Night I Dreamt I Went to Manderly Again” (conference paper)
- Anthologized as “Daphne du Maurier” in AZ Murder Goes…Classic,
Poisoned Pen Press (1998)